Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Cycle Smart International Race 11/3-4 Northampton,MA

I've had a solid 9 days in a row off due to hurricane sandy and its aftermath. In that time I've gone on a few adventures and seen some crazy shit. It was good to get away from it all and race this weekend. We wouldn't have been able to get out of the city if the zip car had less that 1/3 tank of gas, so we didn't know until the last minute if we would actually be going.

This is probably the last big race that we will do outside NY this year. Between the zip cars, race fees, hotels, food and drink and extra time off of work, I'm going broke racing. I wouldn't have it any other way though!

We got to Look Memorial Park and immediately I could tell that this was going to be a great race. The conditions and layout reminded me a lot of Gloucester. The course itself was pretty flat. There were 2 run ups that led to an upper section, and 1 set of barriers on the lower section. It weaved back and forth over railroad tracks. The tracks were covered but dipped up and down so you could easily catch some air off of them.

Day 1 I was feeling sluggish. I slept like shit and couldn't snap out of the haze I'd been in for the past few days. We got there late and I missed my call up because I was trying to finish my warmup lap. I started way back, I'd have to guess 90-100th. I fought my way up but ended up 30th/133.

Day 2 I felt awesome. It was freezing at the start of the race. I'm finding myself more and more unprepared as the temps drop. I started 2nd row, but I had a shitty start. I got caught behind a group and pushed farther back into the pack until we hit the straightaway. I rode solid from there on out. The course was faster day 2. I was in the big ring the whole time and it wasn't windy at all. I ended up 17/132. Zero complaints with how I rode. I feel like I learned a lot during this race.

I got a ton of photos, mostly from Day 1. Cooper Ray from King Kog was also with us. He snapped a few of our race. Any photos of myself or the Cat 4 race were his doing. The rest are mine.

Find all the photos on my Flickr HERE.

A couple from Cooper:
(click to enlarge)






A bunch of mine:







No comments:

Post a Comment