Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

This is a late post...
I went on a few short rides within the city after Hurricane Sandy hit. There was nowhere to ride as the parks were closed and outside the city was surely a mess. My area of Brooklyn was lucky as we only got strong wind and rain. The worst I saw close by were tons of fallen trees and debris everywhere.

This past Thursday Chris and I ventured upstate to Nyack. This is a ride we do all the time. What we saw hit us hard. There was so much destruction on the way there. We frequently encountered trees crossing roads and power lines down everywhere. Once we got to Piermont, we saw the brunt of it. There were boats literally scattered everywhere...in the streets, on peoples lawns, on top of each other. There were houses that had been blown apart and taken away by the water. Debris was everywhere. It made me realize how lucky we were. I can't imagine the loss and what it will take to clean it all up.

I'm sure there are many more areas like this as a result of the storm. Seeing it made it a reality. Here are a few photos from the ride:





No comments:

Post a Comment