Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Supercross Cup (day 2) 12/9/12

So this was it. The last race of the season, or at least I think it will be. I was going to race at Limestone Sunday, but I ended up doing super cross cup instead. I'm glad I did.

My friend Eli and I took the train from NYC to LI. It was actually not bad at all, and above all, cheap. Cyclocross made me broke this year.

Our race was at 9:30. We made a mistake thinking it was at 8:30, so I woke up at 4:30am to get to the race. I wished I could have had that extra hour of sleep, but it was cool to be at the race early and take my time on the course during warm up.

Since upgrading to the 3's, I've learned a lot. This race I learned that you need to destroy yourself out of the gate and through the first lap. I didn't and got spit out of the back. I was caught in a second group behind the lead group. Towards the end it was just myself and another (Jun from Chari). I never ended up passing him and ended up in the middle once again taking 16th.

Between my race which ended around 10:30 and the Cat 4 race at 3pm, I got to party with my friends I had been racing with all year. You could definitely tell we were all unwinding and relaxing for once. The weather was getting shittier by the minute, but the vibe all around was great. I feel that we solidified something during this season that will carry us into the road season and into next years CX season. During the race its all business, but we have helped each other get to races, pushed and coached each other, and had a ton of fun doing it. I've met so many and got to know many better than I ever did. I am grateful... I'll save the rest for another recap post...

When the Cat 4's were up, the course was a muddy mess. The majority of the field was made up of Brooklyn teams. King Kog was strong out front for a majority of it. Chris Foster and Brian McGee from my team ended up out front and crushed it. Chris led with a major gap over the field and took the win, and Brian ended up 3rd. There were great battles throughout. Such a great race to watch and a great way to end the season on a high note.

It was getting dark towards the end of the Cat 4 race, and all I had was the standard flash on my Canon 40d. I hate using it but I had no choice. I got a bunch of photos that I am happy with for the most part.

Full gallery of photos are HERE.















No comments:

Post a Comment