Sunday, October 21, 2012

Marty Cross days 1&2, Chester, NJ

This weekend we headed to Chester, NJ for Marty Cross thrown by Marty's reliable cycle.

The course was strung out on a hill with a really scenic view. Most of it was off camber. On day 1 there was a big climb that most people ran up. It had the stickiest, clay-like mud that I've seen all season. I had some serious trouble clipping back in after the run up as the mud was so thick that it wouldn't come off my shoes and pedals. There was also a paved downhill section that went right into a muddy, rutty section with a tight turn at the end. You could easily trash hard if you took it with too much speed. I took it really fast on one lap and nearly lost it.

On day 1 I was in 5th place most of the race. I dropped my chain twice. The first time I lost 4 positions because I couldn't get it back on. The 2nd time I lost even more ground. I ended up 12th despite the issues. Thats the first (and 2nd) time I've dropped a chain all season.

Day 2 the course was much faster, but with a lot more climbing. Most of the time was spent on the bike as there was only 1 set of barriers. Day 2 was much better. I ended up in 6th place.

I have zero complaints with how I rode,  and zero issues. I'll take it. We had most of the consistent racers in Brooklyn at this race, so it was cool to just race with a bunch of friends. Keith from Pink Rhino Racing and Jun from Chari and Co ended up on the podium.

:Marty Cross Gallery of days 1&2 (click me):

A few randoms (click to enlarge):








No comments:

Post a Comment